Breastfeeding moms!

Comment Policy

Comments are welcome and appreciated. There have been quite a few spam comments left lately. Please not that each and every comment is read and moderated before posting. Spammy comments will be deleted.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Prayer for a Single Mother you may know

I found this prayer, and I found it so inspirational. It's a wonderful prayer to say for a single mother you may know.

Prayer for a Single Mother

Dear God, she seems to bear the weight of the world on her shoulders, but to carry it more lightly than I think I would. I see her balancing work and home, money and no money, friends who no longer make time to see her, and I send up a prayer for her.

Her old friends have moved on with their lives, and in truth, she doesn't have much in common with them anymore. She is lonely, loving God. She would like company but doesn't want to make time for new relationships because her waking hours are already full: she is a mother. She walks when gas is too expensive for the car and forgoes new clothes so her child can have shoes.

This is not how her life started out, but circumstances changed from her life of privilege to this life she embraces so fully. Her life is difficult and she seems so tired much of the time, but I am inspired by the love she has for her child.

Give her the strength to put in long hours each day; the courage to face those who dismiss her with blaming and knowing nods; the ability to maintain her loving life at home; and the deepest knowledge in her heart that you love her.

If you know of anymore, please leave them as a comment. I think sometimes we struggle for the right words to say during prayer, and it's nice to have the words to say.

11 comments:

Tidbits Of Tammy said...

Oh April I love this! It says it all!
Thanks so much for posting it. I am going to print a copy.

vicki said...

I admire single moms so much. And your blog is really a look at you life. stay strong!

Barbara said...

Hello,
This was very special to read. I am a single mother,and there are days when I feel as if I can't go on..my only inspiration is my daughter..she keeps me going. Love your blog site. God bless
Barbara :)

Jami said...

Barbara and I are life twins. I couldn't have said one word differently.

Thanks for your words. I needed them today.

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you for this prayer i am a single mom and things seem hard sometimes. it is nice to know there are those out there praying for someone like me.
Thank you so much

Kellie

Millie said...

I am a single mom of 2 children and I acknowledge the feelings presented in the prayer. I want to share with you that I am one that does not get worn out of life, I try to get life "worn out" of me. I do pray that society changes its perception of women, we are not only beautiful but intelligent, strong and our definition of self-sacrifice (as Gahndi said) gives us advantage over men, we just haven't realized it and believed it. Men are the most wonderful "things" walking on this earth, but they need to realize their true value in life, only then would they be able to value women. I encourage every single mom to keep their heads up! Have a plan, work hard and exceed your goals. Become the role model you want your children to learn from, actions speak louder than words.
Millie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. I am a single mother and sometimes there is no one to turn to...

Anonymous said...

I really love your prayer! I can really relate myself into it. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

my friend cyrelle - a wonderful mother raising her son by herself

Anonymous said...

This is the prayer I needed to hear tonight. I too am a single Mom and some days it seems that the world is made for couples. It is great to see what I feel put it to words . . .Thank you

Anonymous said...

I would like to offer up this prayer to Mary Lou
Who through the years I see becoming more increasingly fatigued with the cruelty of the world, and her unceasing efforts to raise her son in faith.